Monday, April 20, 2009

Spring Break

The girls were on Spring Break last week, so we went down to Delaware for the last couple of days to stay with Christopher. He was/is very busy there and I think he was a little bit stressed out with us there. It's hard to study with 4 extra people in your hotel room. On Friday we went to Wintherthur Gardens and Estate - I am not exaggerating one little bit when I say that it was magical. Formerly one of the homes of the DuPont family, it is now open to the public with a library, a museum and gardens. Longwood Gardens (in PA, but just 20 minutes away), that I have posted about before, was owned by the same family. We had perfect weather and enjoyed a beautiful day!
Paigie playing with the water in the children's garden "The Enchanted Woods" which really were enchanting - the had a fairy ring, a huge bird's nest, little tables, a gate that had chimes on the hinges so that when it opened, the chimes rang, a wishing well....I could go on and on.
They are sitting in the window box/stage? of the little house (with a thatched roof!). When they sat down on the chairs, Maggie said "I'm the first counselor." Funny - to me anyway.
One of the "Fairy Huts"



If I knew my trees better I could tell you what is blooming back there. Not Cherry Trees (I don't think) or Dogwoods (which are the only ones I am certain of), but aren't they lovely?


Daffodil Clouds - just past their prime. Our guide said that the workers would go out and lay sticks in the shape of the shadows cast by clouds overhead and then plant daffodils in them. I really, really, really loved this place. They let people walk all around, the kids can climb in the trees, plus, as you can see in the pictures, there were was actually a little bit of elevation change - it was perfect. We will be going back when more things start blooming. Mr. Dupont planted 8 acres of Azaleas - "Azalea Woods", only 3-4 plants were blooming when we were there.

3 comments:

Sarah said...

Pretty!! I'd loooooove to go there. I wonder how far it is from our house? And that's nice you could see Christopher!

MiriamR said...

That looks magical! I love places like that, they are few and far between. I love that they get children have fun there. I wish I could go out there and see all that stuff!

sharron yeates said...

It looks like an absolutely beautiful place and the girls look adorable! Hi to everyone - Can't wait to see you! xoxoxoxoxo Mom